Sunday, January 19, 2014

Exposed

Harold Kantner Special Collection Photo [Photo]

When I was fourteen on a band trip to West Palm Beach
We had a free afternoon to amuse ourselves
And I went with a group, mostly boys, on a yawl
Run by this couple from Maine, who came down
And took tourists out to fish in the deep water.

It astounds me yet how they penetrated my
Perfect disguise, my tight robe of obscurity.
I looked "so much" they said like
Their good friend at home; they could
Hardly believe their Northern eyes,
Smiling at one another as if it were a
Wonderful thing, a gift they presented
To my damp identity, forced to walk the plank.

Their smiles of approval were like a medal
I could wear inside my band uniform:
Couldn't they see I was not "cute"
Or the least bit popular with boys,
These friendly Yanks who squeezed my lumpish
Southern self and left their fingerprints.

[Undated poem by Virginia McKinnon Mann. This one really resonated with me. Photo from the San Diego Air & Space Museum Archives.]

1 comment :

  1. It's fascinating to read this poem with such a modern voice to describe an incident in 1939. West Palm Beach must mean the city in Florida. The yawl might have looked like this: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-N2abcO5Qspo/TdaSsOR4goI/AAAAAAAAG7o/RRllufTRW-E/s400/844%2Bphoto.jpg

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome!