Tuesday, January 14, 2014

The Wood Pile

Note: A Southern friend brings a load of wood from his own stand of trees, saying that when he was growing up, certain ladies in his community always brought potato salad to the home in times of grief.

The Wood Pile

My friend, your gift of trees, lacy with lichen,
Each log containing some history of the other,
Lies rudely dismembered in my yard;
If sons were got in parts
With the deftness of your woodsy art,
We'd make a merry stack,
Each piled upon his brother,
But hearts grow old and slow.
We borrow from the piglet parts
To give us longer, stronger life,
Lying below the surgeon's knife
Like the lamb bleating for Abraham,
Struggling to be his sacrifice.

Uncommon friend, your educated axe
Reminds me now of that old father
And how he sweat until belief became relief.

[Undated poem by Virginia McKinnon Mann.]

2 comments :

  1. With this poem it feels to me like I'm lacking some external reference, some life event or news item that it refers to. The "piglet parts" may refer to using pig valves in human transplants, which was a surprising development when it first became public. Probably I need more time to unravel all the allusions in this poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a similar reaction. I don't think I "get" this poem. . . at least not yet.

      Delete

Comments are welcome!